1 an apparatus that produces a vapor or gas
2 engine that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy by electromagnetic induction
3 someone who originates or causes or initiates something; "he was the generator of several complaints" [syn: source, author]
4 an electronic device for producing a signal voltage
- An apparatus, equipment, etc, to convert or change energy from one form to another.
- A machine that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy.
- One who, or that which, generates, begets, causes, or produces.
- An apparatus in which vapour or gas is formed from a liquid or solid by means of heat or chemical process, as a steam boiler, gas retort etc.
- The principal sound or sounds by which others are produced; the fundamental note or root of the common chord; -- see also generating tone.
- An element of a group that is used in the presentation of the group: one of the elements of which all the group's element are products.
- Greek: γεννήτρια (1, 2)
Generator may refer to:
- Generator (computer science), a specialized routine that acts like an iterator
- A program which produces a stream of data
- Pseudorandom number generator, producer of a sequence of random or nearly-random numbers
- Prime number generator, a producer of the ordered sequence of prime numbers
- A zero-generator, the pseudo-device /dev/zero outputs a never ending stream of zero-valued bytes
- Code generator, a program which creates source code as its output
- anything that creates source code automatically in generative programming
- Natural language generator, a program that produces human language from a machine representation
- Generator matrix, a matrix whose rows can generate all the elements of a linear code
In popular culture:
- A Generator in the anime Generator Gawl is a metal-organic hybrid organism with far greater powers than that of a human.
generator in Czech: Generátor
generator in French: Générateur
generator in Italian: Generatore
generator in Dutch: Generator
generator in Norwegian Nynorsk: Generator
generator in Polish: Generator
generator in Portuguese: Generator
generator in Russian: Генератор
generator in Slovak: Generátor
generator in Ukrainian: Генератор
AC motor, Corliss engine, Otto engine, PCV valve, Wankel engine, accelerator, actuator, aeromotor, agent, air engine, alternator, ammeter, amplifier, ancestors, anode, apprentice, architect, armature, artificer, artist, attenuator, audio-frequency tube, author, autoconverter, autostarter, autotransformer, ballast regulator, ballast tube, battery charger, beam engine, beam-switching tube, bearings, begetter, beginner, blowing engine, bonnet, boot, brake, brush, bucket seat, builder, bumper, cam engine, camshaft, cap, capacitator, capacitor, capacitor motor, carburetor, catalyst, cathode, causer, charger, chassis, choke, choking coil, clock, clutch, coil, commutator, commutator motor, compensated motor, compensator, compound motor, conceiver, condenser, condensing engine, connecting rod, constructor, control relay, control resistor, controller, converter, convertible top, convertor, coupling, cowl, craftsman, crank, crankcase, crankshaft, creator, current regulator, cutout, cylinder, cylinder head, damper, dash, dashboard, designer, detector, deviser, diagonal engine, differential, direct-acting engine, discoverer, discriminator, distributor, donkey engine, doubler, dynamo, dynamotor, effector, electric motor, electrode, electrophorus, electroscope, engenderer, engineer, executor, executrix, exhaust, exhaust pipe, fan, father, feedback amplifier, fender, fire engine, flywheel, focus tube, founder, fuse, galvanic pile, galvanoscope, gas turbine engine, gear, gearbox, gearshift, grid, ground, grower, headlight, headrest, hood, horn, hot-air engine, hydraulic engine, hydro-jet, iconoscope, ignition, impulse duct engine, inaugurator, inductor, industrialist, initiator, inspirer, instigator, institutor, insulator, intake, interrupter, introducer, inventor, inverted engine, inverter, ion engine, ion rocket, jet, journeyman, jumper, lightning rod, limiter, local-oscillator tube, magnet, magnetic relay, magneto, magnetoscope, maker, manifold, manufacturer, master, master craftsman, meter relay, mixer tube, modulator, mother, motor-generator, mover, muffler, multiplier, multipurpose tube, multivibrator, organizer, originator, oscillator, oscilloscope, outboard motor, outlet, output tube, pancake engine, parent, parking light, past master, patriarch, phase inverter, picture tube, pile, piston, piston engine, piston-valve engine, planner, plasma engine, plug, pocket, points, portable engine, power brakes, power steering, power tube, precursor, pressure transducer, prime mover, primum mobile, producer, pulse generator, pulse-jet engine, pumping engine, push button, radial engine, radiator, radio-frequency tube, raiser, ramjet, ramjet engine, reactor, realizer, rear-view mirror, receiving tube, receptacle, reciprocating engine, rectifier, rectifier tube, refrigerating engine, regenerator, regulator, relay, reluctance amplifier, repeater, resistance box, resistor, resojet engine, rheostat, rocket engine, rocket motor, rotary engine, rotary-piston engine, rotor motor, seat belt, self-starter, selsyn, servo amplifier, servomotor, shaper, shock absorber, shunt, shunt motor, sire, smith, socket, spark coil, spark plug, speedometer, springs, starter, steam engine, steering wheel, step-down transformer, supercharged engine, switch, synchronous converter, synchronous motor, tap, terminal, thermal timing relay, three-phase motor, time switch, timer, toggle switch, top, traction engine, transducer, transformer, transmission, transmitter, trickle charger, trigger tube, turbine, turbojet, turbojet engine, universal, valve, variable-speed motor, vernier engine, vertical engine, voltage changer, voltage regulator, voltage transformer, windscreen, windshield, wright